This recipe is great for dry and damaged skin leaving you clean and smelling oh so good.
Green Tea & Barley Soap – by Tanya Chappell
This soap is healing, softening, emollient (rice bran oil) or balancing (jojoba) and anti-oxidant – excellent for mature skins (and all skin types). This recipe makes a pretty, light green coloured creamy soap which is mildly exfoliating.
Ingredients – makes approx. 500gm finished soap
- 1 lb (453g) Goatsmilk Melt & Pour Soap Base, diced
- 1 Tablespoon Rice Bran Oil (or Jojoba Oil)
- 2 teaspoons Green Tea Extract
- 1 - 2 tsp Sea Spice Fragrance
- 1 Tablespoon Green Barley Powder***
- 1 Tablespoon White Clay
1. Place soap base in microwave safe jug and melt on medium power for 1 minute, stir and repeat in 30 second increments. Finish the melting process when a few small lumps of soap base remain; gently stirring until smooth.
2. Blend oil, fragrance, green tea extract and powders together in a small bowl until smooth and then incorporate into melted base – reheating if required. (Alternately – add some melted soap base to powders and blend until smooth, also reheating if required, then add to base.)
3. Spray with alcohol or witch hazel to remove any bubbles on the surface then add fragrance and gently stir well.
4. Pour into moulds and allow to cool.
5. When completely cold remove from mould – wrap if desired to keep out moisture and prevent “sweating”.
***I source my Green Barley Powder from a health food and supplement company in Queensland by the name of Sustainable Agriculture & Food Enterprises Pty. Ltd. You may possibly substitute Wheat Grass Powder or Chlorophyll Powder for the Green Barley Powder; however you will need to trial how much to use to achieve the colour and exfoliant result you want. J
This recipe was kindly contributed by Tanya Chappell whose premade products may be secured by contacting her on firstname.lastname@example.org. (In the Newcastle area.)